SubjectRe: RFC: Memory Tiering Kernel Interfaces (v2)
On Wed, 2022-05-11 at 23:22 -0700, Wei Xu wrote:

> Memory Allocation for Demotion
> ==============================
>
> To allocate a new page as the demotion target for a page, the kernel
> calls the allocation function (__alloc_pages_nodemask) with the
> source page node as the preferred node and the union of all lower
> tier nodes as the allowed nodemask. The actual target node selection
> then follows the allocation fallback order that the kernel has
> already defined.
>
> The pseudo code looks like:
>
>     targets = NODE_MASK_NONE;
>     src_nid = page_to_nid(page);
>     src_tier = node_tier_map[src_nid];
>     for (i = src_tier + 1; i < MAX_MEMORY_TIERS; i++)
>             nodes_or(targets, targets, memory_tiers[i]);
>     new_page = __alloc_pages_nodemask(gfp, order, src_nid, targets);
>
> The memopolicy of cpuset, vma and owner task of the source page can
> be set to refine the demotion target nodemask, e.g. to prevent
> demotion or select a particular allowed node as the demotion target.

Consider a system with 3 tiers, if we want to demote some pages from
tier 0, the desired behavior is,

- Allocate pages from tier 1
- If there's no enough free pages in tier 1, wakeup kswapd of tier 1 so
demote some pages from tier 1 to tier 2
- If there's still no enough free pages in tier 1, allocate pages from
tier 2.

In this way, tier 0 will have the hottest pages, while tier 1 will have
the coldest pages.

With your proposed method, the demoting from tier 0 behavior is,

- Allocate pages from tier 1
- If there's no enough free pages in tier 1, allocate pages in tier 2

The kswapd of tier 1 will not be waken up until there's no enough free
pages in tier 2. In quite long time, there's no much hot/cold
differentiation between tier 1 and tier 2.

This isn't hard to be fixed, just call __alloc_pages_nodemask() for each
tier one by one considering page allocation fallback order.

Best Regards,
Huang, Ying

  Last update: 2022-05-13 05:26    [W:0.277 / U:0.820 seconds]