SubjectRe: RFC: Memory Tiering Kernel Interfaces (v2)
On Thu, 2022-05-12 at 23:36 -0700, Wei Xu wrote:
> On Thu, May 12, 2022 at 8:25 PM ying.huang@intel.com
> <ying.huang@intel.com> wrote:
> >
> > On Wed, 2022-05-11 at 23:22 -0700, Wei Xu wrote:
> > >
> > > Memory Allocation for Demotion
> > > ==============================
> > >
> > > To allocate a new page as the demotion target for a page, the kernel
> > > calls the allocation function (__alloc_pages_nodemask) with the
> > > source page node as the preferred node and the union of all lower
> > > tier nodes as the allowed nodemask. The actual target node selection
> > > then follows the allocation fallback order that the kernel has
> > > already defined.
> > >
> > > The pseudo code looks like:
> > >
> > >     targets = NODE_MASK_NONE;
> > >     src_nid = page_to_nid(page);
> > >     src_tier = node_tier_map[src_nid];
> > >     for (i = src_tier + 1; i < MAX_MEMORY_TIERS; i++)
> > >             nodes_or(targets, targets, memory_tiers[i]);
> > >     new_page = __alloc_pages_nodemask(gfp, order, src_nid, targets);
> > >
> > > The memopolicy of cpuset, vma and owner task of the source page can
> > > be set to refine the demotion target nodemask, e.g. to prevent
> > > demotion or select a particular allowed node as the demotion target.
> >
> > Consider a system with 3 tiers, if we want to demote some pages from
> > tier 0, the desired behavior is,
> >
> > - Allocate pages from tier 1
> > - If there's no enough free pages in tier 1, wakeup kswapd of tier 1 so
> > demote some pages from tier 1 to tier 2
> > - If there's still no enough free pages in tier 1, allocate pages from
> > tier 2.
> >
> > In this way, tier 0 will have the hottest pages, while tier 1 will have
> > the coldest pages.
>
> When we are already in the allocation path for the demotion of a page
> from tier 0, I think we'd better not block this allocation to wait for
> kswapd to demote pages from tier 1 to tier 2. Instead, we should
> directly allocate from tier 2. Meanwhile, this demotion can wakeup
> kswapd to demote from tier 1 to tier 2 in the background.

Yes. That's what I want too. My original words may be misleading.

> > With your proposed method, the demoting from tier 0 behavior is,
> >
> > - Allocate pages from tier 1
> > - If there's no enough free pages in tier 1, allocate pages in tier 2
> >
> > The kswapd of tier 1 will not be waken up until there's no enough free
> > pages in tier 2. In quite long time, there's no much hot/cold
> > differentiation between tier 1 and tier 2.
>
> This is true with the current allocation code. But I think we can make
> some changes for demotion allocations. For example, we can add a
> GFP_DEMOTE flag and update the allocation function to wake up kswapd
> when this flag is set and we need to fall back to another node.
>
> > This isn't hard to be fixed, just call __alloc_pages_nodemask() for each
> > tier one by one considering page allocation fallback order.
>
> That would have worked, except that there is an example earlier, in
> which it is actually preferred for some nodes to demote to their tier
> + 2, not tier +1.
>
> More specifically, the example is:
>
>                  20
>    Node 0 (DRAM) -- Node 1 (DRAM)
>     | | | |
>     | | 30 120 | |
>     | v v | 100
> 100 | Node 2 (PMEM) |
>     | | |
>     | | 100 |
>      \ v v
>       -> Node 3 (Large Mem)
>
> Node distances:
> node 0 1 2 3
>    0 10 20 30 100
>    1 20 10 120 100
>    2 30 120 10 100
>    3 100 100 100 10
>
> 3 memory tiers are defined:
> tier 0: 0-1
> tier 1: 2
> tier 2: 3
>
> The demotion fallback order is:
> node 0: 2, 3
> node 1: 3, 2
> node 2: 3
> node 3: empty
>
> Note that even though node 3 is in tier 2 and node 2 is in tier 1,
> node 1 (tier 0) still prefers node 3 as its first demotion target, not
> node 2.

Yes. I understand that we need to support this use case. We can use
the tier order in allocation fallback list instead of from small to
large. That is, for node 1, the tier order for demotion is tier 2, tier
1.

Best Regards,
Huang, Ying

  Last update: 2022-05-13 09:06    [W:0.147 / U:2.452 seconds]