SubjectRe: [RFC GIT PULL] scheduler fix for autogroups

* Mike Galbraith <efault@gmx.de> wrote:

> On Sat, 2012-12-01 at 22:44 +0100, Ingo Molnar wrote:
>
> > Should we use some other file for that - or no file at all and
> > just emit a bootup printk for kernel hackers with a short
> > attention span?
>
> Or, whack the file and don't bother with a printk either. If
> it's in your config, and your command line doesn't contain
> noautogroup, it's on, so the info is already present (until
> buffer gets full). That makes for even fewer lines dedicated
> to dinky sideline feature.
>
> Or (as previously mentioned) just depreciate (or rip out) the
> whole thing since systemd is propagating everywhere anyway,
> and offers the same functionality.
>
> For 3.7, a revert of 800d4d30c8f2 would prevent the explosion
> when folks play with the now non-functional on/off switch
> (task groups are required to _always_ exist, that commit
> busted the autogroup assumption), so is perhaps a viable
> quickfix until autogroups fate is decided?

Linus, which one would be your preference? I'm fine with the
first and third options - #2 that rips it all out looks like
a sad removal of an otherwise useful feature.

( The fourth option would be to fix the dynamic knobs - there's
no patch for that yet. )

Thanks,

Ingo

  Last update: 2012-12-02 21:01    [W:0.069 / U:0.328 seconds]