SubjectRe: [GIT PULL] Automatic NUMA Balancing V11

* Linus Torvalds <torvalds@linux-foundation.org> wrote:

> On Wed, Dec 12, 2012 at 2:03 AM, Mel Gorman <mgorman@suse.de> wrote:
> > This is a pull request for "Automatic NUMA Balancing V11". The list
>
> Ok, guys, I've pulled this and pushed out. There were some
> conflicts with both the VM changes and with the scheduler
> tree, but they were pretty small and looked simple, so I fixed
> them up and hope they all work.

Cool, thanks Linus!

> Has anybody tested the impact on single-node systems? If
> distros enable this by default (and it does have 'default y',
> which is a big no-no for new features - I undid that part)

Yes, that was for easy testing, leaving it in was an oversight.

> then there will be tons of people running this without
> actually having multiple sockets. Does it gracefully avoid
> pointless overheads for this case?

Yes. We have:

+ bool numabalancing_default = false;
+
+ if (IS_ENABLED(CONFIG_NUMA_BALANCING_DEFAULT_ENABLED))
+ numabalancing_default = true;
+
+ if (nr_node_ids > 1 && !numabalancing_override) {
+ printk(KERN_INFO "Enabling automatic NUMA balancing. "
+ "Configure with numa_balancing= or sysctl");
+ set_numabalancing_state(numabalancing_default);
+ }

The nr_node_ids check makes sure that on single-node systems we
don't enable the feature.

At that point it will be some extra passive code in the kernel -
last I measured it was around +20K to the kernel image plus a
couple of extra branches in a couple of generic paths - but no
measurable runtime overhead.

Any other negative impact would either come from preparatory or
scalability patches attached to the NUMA balancing feature,
which would be a regression we want to fix.

> Anyway, hopefully we'll have a more real numa balancing for
> 3.9, and this is still considered a reasonable base for that
> work.

We are working on it ;-)

Thanks,

Ingo

  Last update: 2012-12-17 11:43    [W:0.088 / U:0.532 seconds]