SubjectRe: [patch 0/17] Series to introduce WARN()... a WARN_ON() variant that takes printk arguments
On Wed, 9 Jul 2008 12:13:48 +0200 Ingo Molnar <mingo@elte.hu> wrote:

> > Hi,
> >
> > This patch series introduces WARN(), which is a WARN_ON() variant that
> > takes printk() like arguments. This was done after both akpm and I hit
> > several cases where this would have been useful; in addition, with
> > WARN(), we put the printk string inside the -----[ cut here ]-----
> > section, making it more likely that users (and tools like kerneloops)
> > pick up the message in addition to just the bare WARNING.
> >
> > The first few patches have been in -mm for a long time; the later ones
> > are newer and introduce more users of WARN().
>
> i've created a new -git based topic branch in tip/core/warn-API and
> picked up your patches:

um, why?

If you merge this into linux-next then it will trash already-merged patches
in -mm and, more particularly, it will trash other trees which you aren't
looking at, causing Stephen problems.

The way to merge this code is to get the base patches into mainline and
then trickle the dependent patches into subsystem trees, or direct into
mainline after the subsystem trees have merged, and with suitable acks.

You aren't set up to do that?

  Last update: 2008-07-09 13:29    [W:0.205 / U:0.716 seconds]