Subjectdevfs to be obsloted by udev?
It appears that devfs is to be replaced by the use of udev in the not so
distant future. I'm not sure how it's supposed to replace a static /dev
situaton seeing as how it is a userspace daemon. Is it not supposed to
replace /dev even when it's completed? I dont see the real benefit in
having two directories that basically give the same info. Right now we
have something like that with proc and sysfs although not everything in
proc makes sense to be in sysfs and both are virtual fs's where as /dev
is a static fs on the disk that takes up space and inodes and includes
way too many files that a system may not use. If udev is to take over
the job of devfs, how will modules and drivers work that require device
files to be present in order to work since undoubtedly the udev daemon
will have to wait until the kernel is done booting before being run.

I'm just not following how it is going to replace devfs and thus why
devfs is being abandoned as mentioned in akpm's patchset. Or as it
seems, already has been abandoned.

[...]

  Last update: 2005-03-22 13:48    [W:1.023 / U:0.808 seconds]