SubjectLockmetering for 2.3.29
Hi all,

With some great help from Richard Henderson, Phil Ezolt, and Jay
Estabrook I've ported the latest lockmeter patches for the 2.3 series to
the Alpha architecture. This is a straight port of the code that is
written by John Hawkes at SGI. Minus a "fuzz factor" the same code
should apply directly onto the 2.2 stream. I've tested the code on a
DS20 running AIM VII workloads past crossover, and everything looks
stable.

There are two patches here: one is the kernel patch - apply this
directly to a virgin 2.3.29 tree to get both the x86 and Alpha
lockmetering; the second is a patch to the lockstat tool to clean up
some 64-bit issues - download the tool, untar, and apply this patch -
the tool works correctly on both Alpha and x86 after the patch. Please
- any comments or questions, let me know. I've attached both patches,
as I don't have anywhere to put them up yet for FTP/Web download (don't
ask ;)

Also, this brings up another subject. You will notice that the patch
changes the DEBUG_{SPINLOCK, RWLOCK}options to off. Talking to rth, he
suggested that we turn this off in 2.3 anyway, as we probably don't need
it (correct me if I paraphrased wrong :). If there are no violent
objections, I'd like to change this in the base tree as soon as possible
so that it gets as much soak time as we can before 2.4 is a reality.
Thoughts?

Again, thanks!

- Pete
[unhandled content-type:application/x-gzip][unhandled content-type:application/x-gzip]

  Last update: 2005-03-22 13:55    [W:0.064 / U:1.792 seconds]