SubjectRe: New subsystem for acceleration devices
On Sun, 31 Jul 2022 14:45:34 +0300
Oded Gabbay <oded.gabbay@gmail.com> wrote:

> Hi,
> Greg and I talked a couple of months ago about preparing a new accel
> subsystem for compute/acceleration devices that are not GPUs and I
> think your drivers that you are now trying to upstream fit it as well.
>
> Would you be open/interested in migrating your drivers to this new subsystem ?
>
> Because there were no outstanding candidates, I have done so far only
> a basic and partial implementation of the infrastructure for this
> subsystem, but if you are willing to join I believe I can finish it
> rather quickly.
>
> At start, the new subsystem will provide only a common device
> character (e.g. /dev/acX) so everyone will do open/close/ioctl on the
> same device character. Also sysfs/debugfs entries will be under that
> device and maybe an IOCTL to retrieve information.
>
> In the future I plan to move some of habanalabs driver's code into the
> subsystem itself, for common tasks such as memory management, dma
> memory allocation, etc.
>
> Of course, you will be able to add your own IOCTLs as you see fit.
> There will be a range of IOCTLs which are device-specific (similar to
> drm).
>
> wdyt ?
>
> Thanks,
> Oded

Hi, Oded.
Thanks for sharing your idea. And I'm really positive on the subsystem for ai acceleration devices.

Samsung NPU driver is trying to upstream now, so I wonder new subsystem can cover all of the operations.
I'll appreciate if you share the code when you ready, so I can figure out our driver can be migrated.

Sincerely,
Jiho Chu

  Last update: 2022-08-02 19:26    [W:1.565 / U:0.004 seconds]