SubjectRe: [RFC 8/9] RISC-V: KVM: Implement perf support
On Wed, Dec 07, 2022, Atish Patra wrote:
> On Fri, Dec 2, 2022 at 9:09 AM Sean Christopherson <seanjc@google.com> wrote:
> >
> > On Mon, Jul 18, 2022, Atish Patra wrote:
> > > RISC-V SBI PMU & Sscofpmf ISA extension allows supporting perf in
> > > the virtualization enviornment as well. KVM implementation
> > > relies on SBI PMU extension for most of the part while traps
> > > & emulates the CSRs read for counter access.
> >
> > For the benefit of non-RISCV people, the changelog (and documentation?) should
> > explain why RISC-V doesn't need to tap into kvm_register_perf_callbacks().
>
> As per my understanding, kvm_register_perf_callbacks is only useful
> during event sampling for guests. Please let me know if I missed
> something.
> This series doesn't support sampling and guest counter overflow interrupt yet.
> That's why kvm_register_perf_callbacks support is missing.

Ah, I missed that connection in the cover letter.

In the future, if a patch adds partial support for a thing/feature, it's very
helpful to call that out in the lack shortlog and changelog, even for RFCs. E.g.
adding a single word in the shortlog and sentence or two in the changelog doesn't
take much time on your end, and helps avoid cases like this where drive-by reviewers
like me from cause a fuss about non-issues.

RISC-V: KVM: Implement partial perf support

Counter overflow and interrupts are not supported as the relevant
architectural specifications are still under discussion.

Thanks!

  Last update: 2022-12-07 17:32    [W:0.077 / U:22.144 seconds]