SubjectRe: [RFC 0/2] srcu: Remove pre-flip memory barrier
From
On 2022-12-20 15:55, Joel Fernandes wrote:

>>> No, it's not possible for "current index" readers to starve the g.p. with the side-rcu scheme, because the initial pass (sampling both periods) only opportunistically skips flipping the period if there happens to be no readers in both periods.
>>>
>>> If there are readers in the "non-current" period, the grace period waits for them.
>>>
>>> If there are readers in the "current" period, it flips the period and then waits for them.
>>
>> Ok glad you already do that, this is what I was sort of leaning at in my previous email as well, that is doing a hybrid approach. Sorry I did not know the details of your side-RCU to know you were already doing something like that.

>>> Considering that it would add extra complexity, I'm unsure what that extra heuristic would improve over just scanning both periods in the first pass.
>>
>> Makes sense, I think you indirectly implement a form of heuristic already by flipping in case scanning both was not fruitful.
>>
>>> I'll be happy to work with you on such a design :) I think we can borrow quite a few concepts from side-rcu for this. Please be aware that my time is limited though, as I'm currently supposed to be on vacation. :)
>>
>> Oh, I was more referring to after the holidays. I am also starting vacation soon and limited In cycles ;-). It is probably better to enjoy the holidays and come back to this after.
>>
>> I do want to finish my memory barrier studies of SRCU over the holidays since I have been deep in the hole with that already. Back to the post flip memory barrier here since I think now even that might not be needed…
>
> In my view, the mb between the totaling of unlocks and totaling of locks serves as the mb that is required to enforce the GP guarantee, which I think is what Mathieu is referring to.

No, AFAIU you also need barriers at the beginning and end of synchronize_srcu to provide those guarantees:

* There are memory-ordering constraints implied by synchronize_srcu().

Need for a barrier at the end of synchronize_srcu():

* On systems with more than one CPU, when synchronize_srcu() returns,
* each CPU is guaranteed to have executed a full memory barrier since
* the end of its last corresponding SRCU read-side critical section
* whose beginning preceded the call to synchronize_srcu().

Need for a barrier at the beginning of synchronize_srcu():

* In addition,
* each CPU having an SRCU read-side critical section that extends beyond
* the return from synchronize_srcu() is guaranteed to have executed a
* full memory barrier after the beginning of synchronize_srcu() and before
* the beginning of that SRCU read-side critical section. Note that these
* guarantees include CPUs that are offline, idle, or executing in user mode,
* as well as CPUs that are executing in the kernel.

Thanks,

Mathieu

--
Mathieu Desnoyers
EfficiOS Inc.

  Last update: 2023-03-26 23:16    [W:0.127 / U:0.600 seconds]