SubjectRe: [RFC 0/2] srcu: Remove pre-flip memory barrier
On Tue, Dec 20, 2022 at 10:34:19PM -0500, Mathieu Desnoyers wrote:
> On 2022-12-20 17:57, Frederic Weisbecker wrote:

> > > I strongly suspect the memory barrier after flip is useless for the same
> > > reasons I mentioned explaining why the barrier before the flip is useless.
> > >
> > > However, we need to double-check that we have memory barriers at the
> > > beginning and end of synchronize_srcu, and between load of "unlock" counters
> > > and load of "lock" counters.
> > >
> > > Where is the barrier at the beginning of synchronize_srcu ?
> >
> > rcu_seq_snap() ?
>
> The memory barrier in rcu_seq_snap is not at the very beginning of synchronize_srcu.
>
> For example we have:
>
> unsigned long get_state_synchronize_srcu(struct srcu_struct *ssp)
> {
> // Any prior manipulation of SRCU-protected data must happen
> // before the load from ->srcu_gp_seq.
> smp_mb();
> return rcu_seq_snap(&ssp->srcu_gp_seq);
>
> which happens to have an explicit barrier before issuing rcu_seq_snap().

SRCU (or even RCU) polling is special in that it may rely on a concurrent updater
to start the grace period, hence why you need two more barriers here (the second
is in poll_state_synchronize_srcu()) so that:

* If the polling updater started polling (calling get_state_synchronize_srcu())
before the traditional updater started the grace period, the latter must
propagate the changes from the polling updater to all CPUs.

* If the polling updater started polling (calling get_state_synchronize_srcu())
after the traditional updater started the grace period, it must wait for a
subsequent grace period (rcu_seq_snap() will return that subsequent sequence).

* If the polling updater checks (and thereby finishes) polling (calling poll_state_synchronize_srcu())
after the traditional updater completes the grace period, the polling updater sees
the propagated barrier.

* If the polling updater checks polling (calling poll_state_synchronize_srcu())
before the traditional updater completes the grace period, keep polling.

> So my question still stands: where is the memory barrier at the beginning of
> synchronize_srcu ?

I still think rcu_seq_snap() is what you're looking for.

> The memory ordering constraint I am concerned about here is:
>
> * [...] In addition,
> * each CPU having an SRCU read-side critical section that extends beyond
> * the return from synchronize_srcu() is guaranteed to have executed a
> * full memory barrier after the beginning of synchronize_srcu() and before
> * the beginning of that SRCU read-side critical section. [...]
>
> So if we have a SRCU read-side critical section that begins after the beginning
> of synchronize_srcu, but before its first memory barrier, it would miss the
> guarantee that the full memory barrier is issued before the beginning of that
> SRCU read-side critical section. IOW, that memory barrier needs to be at the
> very beginning of the grace period.

I'm confused, what's wrong with this ?

UPDATER READER
STORE X = 1 STORE srcu_read_lock++
// rcu_seq_snap() smp_mb()
smp_mb() READ X
// scans
READ srcu_read_lock

  Last update: 2023-03-26 23:16    [W:0.105 / U:0.124 seconds]