SubjectRe: [GIT PULL] ext4 fixes for v5.12
On Sun, Mar 21, 2021 at 11:36:10PM -0400, Theodore Ts'o wrote:
> On Mon, Mar 22, 2021 at 11:05:13AM +0800, Gao Xiang wrote:
> > I think the legel name would be "Zhang Yi" (family name goes first [1])
> > according to
> > The Chinese phonetic alphabet spelling rules for Chinese names [2].
> >
> > Indeed, that is also what the legel name is written in alphabet on our
> > passport or credit/debit cards.
> >
> > Also, many official English-written materials use it in that way, for
> > example, a somewhat famous bastetball player Yao Ming [3][4][5].
> >
> > That is what I wrote my own name as this but I also noticed the western
> > ordering of names is quite common for Chinese people in Linux kernel.
> > Anyway, it's just my preliminary personal thought (might be just my
> > own perference) according to (I think, maybe) formal occasions.

Hi Ted,

> Yeah, there doesn't seem to be a lot of consistency with the ordering
> of Chinese names when they are written in Roman characters. Some
> people put the family name first, and other people will put the
> personal (first) name first. In some cases it may be because the
> developer in question is living in America, and so they've decided to
> use the American naming convention. (Two example of this are former
> ext4 developers Mingming Cao and Jiaying Zhang, who live in Portland
> and Los Angelos, and their family names are Cao and Zhang,
> respectively.)

Yes, totally agree. I think that's all our own perference honestly
(yet just showed some local official materials though.)

> My personal opinion is people should use whatever name they are
> comfortable with, using whatever characters they prefer. The one

Totally agree.

> thing that would be helpful for me is for people to give a hint about
> how they would prefer to be called --- for example, would you prefer
> that start an e-mail with the salutation, "Hi Gao", "Hi Xiang", or "Hi
> Gao Xiang"?

Honestly, I think either way would be fine on this even in Chinese
speaking environment...

> And if I don't know, and I guess wrong, please feel free to correct
> me, either privately, or publically on the e-mail list, if you think
> it would be helpful for more people to understand how you'd prefer to
> be called.

Nope, it's just a minor stuff though. I didn't tend to give any direct/
indirect opinion or hint on this. Sorry about that if some misleading :)

Thanks,
Gao Xiang

> Cheers,
>
> - Ted

  Last update: 2021-03-22 04:49    [W:0.060 / U:1.592 seconds]