SubjectRe: [GIT PULL] ext4 fixes for v5.12
On Mon, Mar 22, 2021 at 09:33:54AM +0800, zhangyi (F) wrote:
> On 2021/3/22 6:23, Linus Torvalds wrote:
> > On Sun, Mar 21, 2021 at 11:31 AM Theodore Ts'o <tytso@mit.edu> wrote:
> >>
> >> zhangyi (F) (3):
> >> ext4: find old entry again if failed to rename whiteout
> >> ext4: do not iput inode under running transaction in ext4_rename()
> >> ext4: do not try to set xattr into ea_inode if value is empty
> >
> > Side note: this is obviously entirely up to the author, but I think it
> > would be nice if we would encourage people to use their native names
> > if/when they want to.
> >
> > Maybe this "zhangyi (F)" is how they _want_ to write their name in the
> > kernel, and that's obviously fine if so.
> >
> > But at the same time, coming from Finland, I remember how people who
> > had the "odd" characters (åäö) in their name ended up replacing them
> > with the US-ASCII version (generally "aa" "ae" and "oe"), and it
> > always just looked bad to a native speaker. Particularly annoying in
> > public contexts.
> >
> > At the same time, for the same reason, I can also understand people
> > not wanting to even expose those characters at all, because then
> > non-native speakers invariably messed it up even worse...
> >
> > Anyway, I think and hope that we have the infrastructure to do it
> > right not just for Latin1, but the more complex non-Western character
> > sets too.
> >
> > And as a result should possibly encourage people to use their native
> > names if they want to. At least make people aware that it _should_
> > work.
> >
> > Again, maybe I'm barking up the wrong tree, and in this case "zhangyi
> > (F) <yi.zhang@huawei.com>" is just what zhangyi prefers simply because
> > it's easier/more convenient.
> >
> > But I just wanted to mention it, because we _do_ have examples of it
> > working. Not many, but some:
> >
> > git log --pretty="%an" --since=2.years | sort -u | tail
> >
> > including examples of having the Westernized name in parenthesis for
> > the "use that one if you can't do the real one" case..
> >
> Hi, Linus.
>
> I will use my real name "Yi Zhang" next time.

er.. Try to comment my thoughts about this a bit... just random noise.

I think the legel name would be "Zhang Yi" (family name goes first [1])
according to
The Chinese phonetic alphabet spelling rules for Chinese names [2].

Indeed, that is also what the legel name is written in alphabet on our
passport or credit/debit cards.

Also, many official English-written materials use it in that way, for
example, a somewhat famous bastetball player Yao Ming [3][4][5].

That is what I wrote my own name as this but I also noticed the western
ordering of names is quite common for Chinese people in Linux kernel.
Anyway, it's just my preliminary personal thought (might be just my
own perference) according to (I think, maybe) formal occasions.

[1] https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wikipedia:Naming_conventions_(Chinese)
[2] http://www.moe.gov.cn/ewebeditor/uploadfile/2015/01/13/20150113091249368.pdf
[3] https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Yao_Ming
[4] https://www.nbcsports.com/edge/basketball/nba/player/28778/yao-ming
[5] https://news.cgtn.com/news/2020-09-26/Spotlight-Ex-NBA-star-Yao-Ming-05-02-2018-U36mm3dYas/index.html

Thanks,
Gao Xiang

> Thanks,
> Yi.

  Last update: 2021-03-22 04:06    [W:0.081 / U:1.368 seconds]