SubjectRe: Getting Rust to work
Hi!

> > First try was on x86-32. It took me a whlie to figure out the problem,
> > hence the diff below.
>
> Thanks a lot for trying it out and for the feedback! :-)

Thanks for your work :-).

> The supported architectures are in
> Documentation/rust/arch-support.rst, so we should link to that.
>
> x86 32-bit and other architectures should eventually work -- we need
> to put some time into them and setting up a few things. For the moment
> we focused on x86_64 and arm64.

Actually x86-32 would be useful for me. That's my test machine.

> > Then I got failure because libclang (?) was not installed. I installed
> > it. But I guess that should be mentioned in docs as dependency.
>
> Yeah, this is mentioned on the bindgen section in quick-start.rst, I
> will try to improve make it more clear, perhaps I'll a section for
> libclang itself.

Aha, sorry, it is possible I was not careful enough reading the docs.

> > With CONFIG_RUST unset, kernel builds for me. With CONFIG_RUST=y +
> > RUST_EXAMPLE=y... I get errors:
>
> Typically it is due to a kernel option that enables some GCC flag that
> libclang does not know about -- I have a hack in place to make it
> work, but requires manual maintenance. Can you please attach your
> kernel config?

Done, in a private message.

> Meanwhile, please try building with Clang or LLVM instead, the GCC
> builds are very, very experimental. I'll make it even more explicit in
> the quick-start.

I tried, but newest in my distribution is clang-7, and kernel needs
clang-10.

Best regards,
Pavel
--
http://www.livejournal.com/~pavelmachek

  Last update: 2021-03-21 21:58    [W:0.043 / U:0.800 seconds]