SubjectRe: Getting Rust to work
Hi Pavel,

On Sun, Mar 21, 2021 at 8:37 PM Pavel Machek <pavel@ucw.cz> wrote:

> First try was on x86-32. It took me a whlie to figure out the problem,
> hence the diff below.

Thanks a lot for trying it out and for the feedback! :-)

The supported architectures are in
Documentation/rust/arch-support.rst, so we should link to that.

x86 32-bit and other architectures should eventually work -- we need
to put some time into them and setting up a few things. For the moment
we focused on x86_64 and arm64.

> Then I got failure because libclang (?) was not installed. I installed
> it. But I guess that should be mentioned in docs as dependency.

Yeah, this is mentioned on the bindgen section in quick-start.rst, I
will try to improve make it more clear, perhaps I'll a section for
libclang itself.

> With CONFIG_RUST unset, kernel builds for me. With CONFIG_RUST=y +
> RUST_EXAMPLE=y... I get errors:

Typically it is due to a kernel option that enables some GCC flag that
libclang does not know about -- I have a hack in place to make it
work, but requires manual maintenance. Can you please attach your
kernel config?

Meanwhile, please try building with Clang or LLVM instead, the GCC
builds are very, very experimental. I'll make it even more explicit in
the quick-start.

Cheers,
Miguel

  Last update: 2021-03-21 21:05    [W:0.046 / U:0.916 seconds]