SubjectRE: [RFC v16 1/9] iommu: Introduce attach/detach_pasid_table API
Date

Concept-wise it is still a 'user page table' with vendor specific format.

Taking your earlier analog it's just for a single 84-bit address space
(20PASID+64bitVA) per RID.

So what we requires is still one unified ioctl in your step-1 to support
per-RID 'user page table'.

For ARM it's SMMU's PASID table format. There is no step-2 since PASID
is already within the address space covered by the user PASID table.

For Intel it's VT-d's 1st level page table format. When moving to step-2
then allows multiple 'user page tables' connected to RID & PASID.

> > This would be easy for a single pgd. In this case the PASID table has a
> > single entry and userspace could just pass one GPA page during
> > registration. However it isn't easily generalized to full PASID support,
> > because managing a multi-level PASID table will require runtime GPA
> > allocation, and that API is awkward. That's why we opted for "attach PASID
> > table" operation rather than "attach page table" (back then the choice was
> > easy since VT-d used the same concept).
>
> I think the entire context descriptor table should be in userspace,
> and filled in by userspace, as part of the userspace page table.
>
> The kernel API should accept the S1ContextPtr IPA and all the parts of
> the STE that relate to the defining the layout of what the S1Context
> points to an thats it.
>
> We should have another mode where the kernel owns everything, and the
> S1ContexPtr is a PA with Stage 2 bypassed.

I guess this is for the usage like DPDK. In that case yes we can have
unified ioctl since the kernel manages everything including the PASID
table.

> That part is fine, the more open question is what does the driver
> interface look like when userspace tell something like vfio-pci to
> connect to this thing. At some level the attaching device needs to
> authorize iommufd to take the entire PASID table and RID.

as long as smmu driver advocates only supporting step-1 ioctl,
then this authorization should be implied already.

> Specifically we cannot use this thing with a mdev, while the Intel
> version of a userspace page table can be.

yes. Supporting mdev is all the reason why Intel puts the PASID
table in host physical address space to be managed by the kernel.

> Maybe that is just some 'allow whole device' flag in an API

As said, I feel this special flag is not required as long as the
vendor iommu driver only supports your step-1 interface which
implies 'allow whole device' for ARM.

Thanks
Kevin

  Last update: 2021-12-09 03:59    [W:0.175 / U:0.216 seconds]