SubjectRE: [RFC v16 1/9] iommu: Introduce attach/detach_pasid_table API
Date

mdev is a pci device from user p.o.v, having its vRID and vPASID. From
this angle the uAPI is no different from vfio-pci (except the ARM one):

- (sw mdev) Attach emulated page table to vRID (no iommu domain)
- (hw mdev) Attach page table to vRID (mapped to mdev PASID)
- (hw mdev) Attach page table to vPASID (mapped to a fungible PASID)

> It is what I've said a couple of times, the API the driver calls
> toward iommufd to attach a page table must be unambiguous as to the
> intention, which also means userspace must be unambiguous too.

No question on the unambiguous part. But we also need to consider
the common semantics that can be abstracted.

From user p.o.v a vRID can be attached to at most two page tables (if
nesting is enabled). This just requires the basic attaching form for
either one page table or two page tables:

at_data = {
.iommufd = xxx;
.pgtable_id = yyy;
};
ioctl(device_fd, VFIO_DEVICE_ATTACH_PGTABLE, &at_data);

This can already cover ARM's requirement. The user page table
attached to vRID is in vendor specific format, e.g. either ARM pasid
table format or Intel stage-1 format. For ARM pasid_table + underlying
stage-1 page tables can be considered as a single big paging structure.

From this angle I'm not sure the benefit of making a separate uAPI
just because it's a pasid table for ARM.

Then when PASID needs to be explicitly specified (e.g. in Intel case):

at_data = {
.iommufd = xxx;
.pgtable_id = yyy;
.flags = VFIO_ATTACH_FLAGS_PASID;
.pasid = zzz;
};
ioctl(device_fd, VFIO_DEVICE_ATTACH_PGTABLE, &at_data);

Again, I don't think what a simple flag can solve needs to be made
into a separate uAPI.

Is modeling like above considered ambiguous?

Thanks
Kevin

  Last update: 2021-12-10 09:57    [W:0.081 / U:0.444 seconds]