SubjectRe: [RFC v2 19/19] ima: Setup securityfs for IMA namespace
On Mon, Dec 06, 2021 at 08:38:29AM -0500, James Bottomley wrote:
> On Mon, 2021-12-06 at 13:08 +0100, Christian Brauner wrote:

> > > While AppArmor, lockdown and the integrity family use securityfs,
> > > SELinux and Smack do not. They have their own independent
> > > filesystems. Implementations of namespacing for each of SELinux and
> > > Smack have been proposed, but nothing has been adopted. It would be
> > > really handy to namespace the infrastructure rather than each
> > > individual LSM, but I fear that's a bigger project than anyone will
> > > be taking on any time soon. It's likely to encounter many of the
> > > same issues that I've been dealing with for module stacking.
> >
> > The main thing that bothers me is that it uses simple_pin_fs() and
> > simple_unpin_fs() which I would try hard to get rid of if possible.
> > The existence of this global pinning logic makes namespacing it
> > properly more difficult then it needs to be and it creates imho wonky
> > semantics where the last unmount doesn't really destroy the
> > superblock.
>
> So in the notifier sketch I posted, I got rid of the pinning but only
> for the non root user namespace use case ... which basically means only
> for converted consumers of securityfs. The last unmount of securityfs
> inside the namespace now does destroy the superblock ... I checked.

Yeah, I saw. I'm struggling to follow the series but I pulled Stefan's
branch and put your patch on top of it so I peruse it.

> The same isn't true for the last unmount of the root namespace, but
> that has to be so to keep the current semantics.
>
> > Instead subsequents mounts resurface the same superblock. There
> > might be an inherent design reason why this needs to be this way but
> > I would advise against these semantics for anything that wants to be
> > namespaced. Probably the first securityfs mount in init_user_ns can
> > follow these semantics but ones tied to a non-initial user namespace
> > should not as the userns can go away. In that case the pinning logic
> > seems strange as conceptually the userns pins the securityfs mount as
> > evidenced by the fact that we key by it in get_tree_keyed().
>
> Yes, that's basically what I did: pin if ns == &init_user_ns but don't
> pin if not. However, I'm still not sure I got the triggers right. We
> have to trigger the notifier call (which adds the namespaced file
> entries) from context free, because that's the first place the
> superblock mount is fully set up ... I can't do it in fill_super
> because the mount isn't fully initialized (and the locking prevents
> it). I did manage to get the notifier for teardown triggered from
> kill_super, though.

Once Stefan answer my questions about fill_super I _might_ have an idea
how to improve this.

  Last update: 2021-12-06 15:14    [W:0.106 / U:0.184 seconds]