SubjectRe: [RFC v2 19/19] ima: Setup securityfs for IMA namespace
On Fri, Dec 03, 2021 at 11:37:14AM -0800, Casey Schaufler wrote:
> On 12/3/2021 10:50 AM, James Bottomley wrote:
> > > I had thought about this also but the rationale was:
> > >
> > > securityfs is compiled due to CONFIG_IMA_NS and the user namespace
> > > exists there and that has a pointer now to ima_namespace, which can
> > > have that callback. I assumed that other namespaced subsystems could
> > > also be reached then via such a callback, but I don't know.
> > Well securityfs is supposed to exist for LSMs. At some point each of
> > those is going to need to be namespaced, which may eventually be quite
> > a pile of callbacks, which is why I thought of a notifier.
>
> While AppArmor, lockdown and the integrity family use securityfs,
> SELinux and Smack do not. They have their own independent filesystems.
> Implementations of namespacing for each of SELinux and Smack have been
> proposed, but nothing has been adopted. It would be really handy to
> namespace the infrastructure rather than each individual LSM, but I
> fear that's a bigger project than anyone will be taking on any time
> soon. It's likely to encounter many of the same issues that I've been
> dealing with for module stacking.

The main thing that bothers me is that it uses simple_pin_fs() and
simple_unpin_fs() which I would try hard to get rid of if possible. The
existence of this global pinning logic makes namespacing it properly
more difficult then it needs to be and it creates imho wonky semantics
where the last unmount doesn't really destroy the superblock. Instead
subsequents mounts resurface the same superblock. There might be an
inherent design reason why this needs to be this way but I would advise
against these semantics for anything that wants to be namespaced.
Probably the first securityfs mount in init_user_ns can follow these
semantics but ones tied to a non-initial user namespace should not as
the userns can go away. In that case the pinning logic seems strange as
conceptually the userns pins the securityfs mount as evidenced by the
fact that we key by it in get_tree_keyed().

> > > I suppose any late filesystem init callchain would have to be
> > > connected to the user_namespace somehow?
> > I don't think so; I think just moving some securityfs entries into the
> > user_namespace and managing the notifier chain from within securityfs
> > will do for now. [although I'd have to spec this out in code before I
> > knew for sure].

> > > What I don't like about the fill_super is that it gets called too
> > > early:
> > >
> > > [ 67.058611] securityfs_ns_create_mount @ 102 target user_ns:
> > > ffff95c010698c80; nr_extents: 0
> > > [ 67.059836] securityfs_fill_super @ 47 user_ns:
> > > ffff95c010698c80;
> > > nr_extents: 0
> > Right, it's being activated by securityfs_ns_create_mount which is
> > called as soon as the user_ns is created.
> >
> > > We are switching to the target user namespace in
> > > securityfs_ns_create_mount. The expected nr_extents at this point is
> > > 0, since user_ns hasn't been configured, yet. But then
> > > security_fill_super is also called with nr_extents 0. We cannot use
> > > that, it's too early!
> > Exactly, so I was thinking of not having a securityfs_ns_create_mount
> > at all. All the securityfs_ns_create.. calls would be in the notifier
> > call chain. This means there's nothing to fill the superblock until an
> > actual mount on it is called.

> > > Ok, I can make this disappear.

> > > fill_super would only work for the init_user_ns from what I can see.

> > > I guess I would need to know how fill_super would work or how it
> > > could be called late/delayed as well.
> > So it would be called early in the init_user_ns by non-namespaced
> > consumers of securityfs, like it is now.
> >
> > Namespaced consumers wouldn't call any securityfs_ns_create callbacks
> > to create dentries until they were notified from the fill_super
> > notifier, which would now only be triggered on first mount of
> > securityfs inside the namespace.

> > > Is there then no need to pass a separate vfsmount * in anymore?
> > I don't think so no. It could be entirely managed internally to
> > securityfs.
> >
> > > Where would the vfsmount pointer reside? For now it's in
> > > ima_namespace, but it sounds like it should be in a more centralized
> > > place? Should it also be connected to the user_namespace so we can
> > > pick it up using get_user_ns()?
> > exactly. I think struct user_namespace should have two elements gated
> > by a #ifdef CONFIG_SECURITYFS which are the vfsmount and the
> > mount_count for passing into simple_pin_fs.
> >

> > James

  Last update: 2021-12-06 13:10    [W:0.105 / U:0.492 seconds]