SubjectRe: [RFC/PATCHSET 0/5] perf ftrace: Implement function latency histogram (v1)
On Wed, Dec 1, 2021 at 3:59 AM Arnaldo Carvalho de Melo <acme@kernel.org> wrote:

> Em Tue, Nov 30, 2021 at 04:36:49PM -0800, Stephane Eranian escreveu:

> > > That would be fine. I also think 'perf ftrace latency' is
> > > bit too long. But if we would add a new feature
> > > like argdist (in BCC) later, I thought it'd be nice being
> > > a subcommand in the perf ftrace together.
>
> > > But it's up to you. I'll make a change if you prefer
> > > 'flat' (or how about 'fnlat' instead?).
>
> fnlat would be ok, flat was just funny to avoid suggesting it :-)

:)

> > I am not too fond of the flat option because as we had more bpf tools
> > like function latency, then we keep extending the list of commands
> > each with a small span which is different
> > from what we have right now.
>
> I think we should focus on the tool end result, not on how it is
> implemented, i.e. in this specific "function latency" tool ftrace is
> used with BPF, but we could perhaps have used some other mechanism.

Agreed, but I think function latency belongs to function tracing
conceptually. So I added it as a subcommand in perf ftrace
not just because of the implementation.

> I think all these tools should have as much as possible a common set of
> options, like the targets (cpu, cgroup, pid, tid, etc) so that one can
> go from different views for those targets by just changing the name of
> the tool.

Currently, perf ftrace shares the target options with both subcommands.
Please see common_options in cmd_ftrace().

Thanks,
Namhyung

> We have things like:
>
> $ perf sched
>
> Usage: perf sched [<options>] {record|latency|map|replay|script|timehist}
>
> -D, --dump-raw-trace dump raw trace in ASCII
> -f, --force don't complain, do it
> -i, --input <file> input file name
> -v, --verbose be more verbose (show symbol address, etc)
>
> With different 3rd level subcommads, but in the 'perf sched' case is the
> component being observed, not the mechanism being used to obtain/present
> the observation data.
>
> - Arnaldo

  Last update: 2021-12-01 18:22    [W:0.091 / U:0.248 seconds]