SubjectRe: [RFC/PATCHSET 0/5] perf ftrace: Implement function latency histogram (v1)
On Tue, Nov 30, 2021 at 2:58 PM Namhyung Kim <namhyung@kernel.org> wrote:

> Hi Arnaldo,
>
> On Tue, Nov 30, 2021 at 6:37 AM Arnaldo Carvalho de Melo
> <acme@kernel.org> wrote:
> >
> > Em Mon, Nov 29, 2021 at 03:18:25PM -0800, Namhyung Kim escreveu:
> > > Hello,
> > >
> > > I've implemented 'latency' subcommand in the perf ftrace command to
> > > show a histogram of function latency.
> > >
> > > To handle new subcommands, the existing functionality is moved to
> > > 'trace' subcommand while preserving backward compatibility of not
> > > having a subcommand at all (defaults to 'trace').
> > >
> > > The latency subcommand accepts a target (kernel, for now) function
> > > with -T option and shows a histogram like below:
> >
> > Humm, wouldn't be interesting to shorten this by having a new 'perf
> > flat' (function latency) tool, on the same level as 'perf ftrace' and
> > leave 'perf ftrace' to just being a convenient perf interface to what
> > ftrace provides?
>
> That would be fine. I also think 'perf ftrace latency' is
> bit too long. But if we would add a new feature
> like argdist (in BCC) later, I thought it'd be nice being
> a subcommand in the perf ftrace together.
>
> But it's up to you. I'll make a change if you prefer
> 'flat' (or how about 'fnlat' instead?).

I am not too fond of the flat option because as we had more bpf tools
like function latency, then we keep extending the list of commands
each with a small span which is different
from what we have right now.

  Last update: 2021-12-01 01:38    [W:0.107 / U:0.632 seconds]