SubjectRe: [patch 13/31] x86/fpu: Move KVMs FPU swapping to FPU core
Date
On Wed, Oct 13 2021 at 16:14, Thomas Gleixner wrote:

>>> This will stop being at all optimal when Intel inevitably adds
>>> another feature that uses XFD. In the potentially infinite window in
>>> which the guest manages XFD and #NM on behalf of its userspace and
>>> when the guest allocates the other hypothetical feature, all the #NMs
>>> will have to be trapped by KVM.
>>
>> The reason is that it's quite common to simply let the guest see all
>> CPUID bits that KVM knows about.
>
> On fleets the cpu features exposed to guests matter a lot to ensure
> migratability and I would be surprised when such a feature would just
> be universally available to anyone.

As a VM customer you get charged for RAM, CPUs, storage and whatever
extra features you need. So why would AMX be any different?

So far Intel ignored the fact that these accelerators are managed
resources even if they are accessible via instructions and do not
require to open(/dev/magic_accelerator). But that's just wrong and XFD
should already have happened with AVX512.

Trying to expose AMX unconditionally is just wrong and overengineered
and proliferating the mess we already have to suffer from.

As I said in the other mail. QEMU has to get permissions to use AMX
first and not doing it by circumventing the permission part via a KVM
hack.

Thanks,

tglx

  Last update: 2021-10-13 16:24    [W:0.263 / U:0.228 seconds]