SubjectRe: [patch 13/31] x86/fpu: Move KVMs FPU swapping to FPU core

On Wed, Oct 13, 2021, at 5:26 AM, Paolo Bonzini wrote:
> On 13/10/21 12:14, Andy Lutomirski wrote:
>>> I think it's simpler to always wait for #NM, it will only happen
>>> once per vCPU. In other words, even if the guest clears XFD before
>>> it generates #NM, the guest_fpu's XFD remains nonzero and an #NM
>>> vmexit is possible. After #NM the guest_fpu's XFD is zero; then
>>> passthrough can happen and the #NM vmexit trap can be disabled.
>>
>> This will stop being at all optimal when Intel inevitably adds
>> another feature that uses XFD. In the potentially infinite window in
>> which the guest manages XFD and #NM on behalf of its userspace and
>> when the guest allocates the other hypothetical feature, all the #NMs
>> will have to be trapped by KVM.
>
> The reason is that it's quite common to simply let the guest see all
> CPUID bits that KVM knows about. But it's not unlikely that most guests
> will not ever use any XFD feature, and therefore will not ever see an
> #NM. I wouldn't have any problem with allocating _all_ of the dynamic
> state space on the first #NM.
>
> Thinking more about it, #NM only has to be trapped if XCR0 enables a
> dynamic feature. In other words, the guest value of XFD can be limited
> to (host_XFD|guest_XFD) & guest_XCR0. This avoids that KVM
> unnecessarily traps for old guests that use CR0.TS.

You could simplify this by allocating the state the first time XCR0 enables the feature in question.

(This is how regular non-virt userspace *should* work too, but it looks like I’ve probably been outvoted on that front…)

> Paolo
>
>> Is it really worthwhile for KVM to use XFD at all instead of
>> preallocating the state and being done with it? KVM would still have
>> to avoid data loss if the guest sets XFD with non-init state, but #NM
>> could always pass through.

  Last update: 2021-10-13 17:01    [W:4.481 / U:0.012 seconds]