Subjectsetsid2(sid) proposal - assign current process to existing session
Date
Hello,

I'm wondering about the possibility of introducing a new system call for
moving a process to an existing session. If `sid` is an existing session
with the same owner as the current process, one could call:

setsid2(sid)

This would have similar behavior to setpgid(), and would probably
effectively call setpgid() internally too.

The use case is for something like `flatpak-spawn --host`, which allows
you to launch a program in an outer namespace from an inner namespace.
It behaves as a child of the caller but is actually a child of an
external daemon.

It works by connecting stdin/out/err to those of the caller, for example
a PTY for xterm running in the inner namespace. This works fine for
non-interactive programs, but it's impossible for the spawned task to
share the controlling TTY with the shell running in xterm.

I can't see where the problems are, though I'm surprised such
functionally doesn't yet exist. Because it deals with such basic
concepts, I'm wondering if such a change will even be considered.

There is a workaround; one can create a new PTY on the host and copy the
I/O streams manually. Not ideal, but okay.

Any comments welcome.

Cheers
~ dev

  Last update: 2020-08-04 15:12    [W:0.036 / U:0.200 seconds]