SubjectRe: Upcoming: Notifications, FS notifications and fsinfo()
On Fri, Apr 03, 2020 at 04:30:24PM -0400, J. Bruce Fields wrote:
> On Fri, Apr 03, 2020 at 05:12:23PM +0200, Lennart Poettering wrote:
> > BTW, while we are at it: one more thing I'd love to see exposed by
> > statx() is a simple flag whether the inode is a mount point. There's
> > plenty code that implements a test like this all over the place, and
> > it usually isn't very safe. There's one implementation in util-linux
> > for example (in the /usr/bin/mountpoint binary), and another one in
> > systemd. Would be awesome to just have a statx() return flag for that,
> > that would make things *so* much easier and more robust. because in
> > fact most code isn't very good that implements this, as much of it
> > just compares st_dev of the specified file and its parent. Better code
> > compares the mount ID, but as mentioned that's not as pretty as it
> > could be so far...
>
> nfs-utils/support/misc/mountpoint.c:check_is_mountpoint() stats the file
> and ".." and returns true if they have different st_dev or the same
> st_ino. Comparing mount ids sounds better.

BTW, this traditional st_dev+st_ino way is not reliable for bind mounts.
For mountpoint(1) we search the directory in /proc/self/mountinfo.

> So anyway, yes, everybody reinvents the wheel here, and this would be
> useful.

+1

Karel

--
Karel Zak <kzak@redhat.com>
http://karelzak.blogspot.com

  Last update: 2020-04-06 11:18    [W:0.176 / U:1.500 seconds]