SubjectGrsecurity blaims insane conspiracy theory for self-imposed legal woes
Grsecurity blaims insane conspiracy theory for self-imposed legal woes
From the Grsecurity website:
https://grsecurity.net/setting_the_record_straight_on_oss_v_perens_part1

> Company Background
>
> Open Source Security, Inc. was formed in 2008 initially to handle
> donations related to the grsecurity project, an open source project
> started in 2001 and freely (in all senses) available to the world until
> at least 2015. In 2015 we made our stable patches available to paid
> customers only via our website, a right granted by the GPL. At the
> time, we still had a freely (in all senses) test patch available. In
> April of 2017 we stopped providing the test patches to the general
> public.
> A Troll's Revenge
>
> Only a few months after this, a notorious Internet troll who had used
> grsecurity in the past and been banned from our forums for misogynistic
> comments was apparently upset at having his access cut off completely
> (after previously being denied access to the stable patches in 2015),
> and came out of hibernation to extend a private and public campaign to
> get revenge. This campaign continues today even, with posts to LKML,
> various distribution mailing lists, and posts and comments on Slashdot,
> Reddit, and other news aggregators. This person poses under various
> names, usernames, and email addresses, but most recently poses as a
> legitimate lawyer claiming the GPL can be rescinded. The emails come
> from @redchan.it,@airmail.cc, and other anonymous mailing services with
> usernames like "aconcernedfossdev", "visionsofalice", "gameonlinux",
> "nisus", and "unconditionedwitness". Most commonly, the email subject
> regarding us includes: "Why will no-one sue GrSecurity for their
> blatant GPL violation?" or "Yes you have standing to sue GRSecurity."
> In many instances, due to the changing names and email addresses,
> readers are unaware this is the same "MikeeUSA" troll, a self-professed
> misogynist and pedophile, that had been harrassing and issuing death
> threats to women in Open Source for years.
>
> But the anonymous troll wasn't able to inflict the kind of damage he
> wanted to achieve alone. People saw an unstable individual mixing
> misogynistic comments with nonsensical legal theories, making it clear
> he was not an expert and his comments had no basis in reality. To
> inflict the damage he wanted, he'd need to enlist the help of someone
> the public trusts and views as an expert on license compliance matters,
> so that it'd be accepted as fact by the public. So in private, he
> contacted various influential people (including Richard Stallman, Eben
> Moglen, Bradley Kuhn, and Bruce Perens) involved in Free Software/Open
> Source in an attempt to bait them into accepting and repeating his
> claims and wild legal theories as true. None of them took the bait,
> except for Bruce Perens.
>
> Perens' Collaboration

(... and on it goes)
(
https://grsecurity.net/setting_the_record_straight_on_oss_v_perens_part1
https://archive.is/7B9No
)
(
https://grsecurity.net/setting_the_record_straight_on_oss_v_perens_part2
https://archive.is/7B9No
)
(
https://grsecurity.net/setting_the_record_straight_on_oss_v_perens_part3
https://archive.is/tvlWf)

  Last update: 2020-02-18 11:58    [W:1.836 / U:0.004 seconds]