SubjectUEFI Fast Boot or Quick Boot for MS Windows also for Linux?
Date
Dear Linux folks,

According to `systemd-analyze` the UEFI firmware on several systems, for
example the laptop Dell Latitude E7250 and the desktop board MSI B350M
MORTAR, take over ten seconds to initialize.

$ systemd-analyze
Startup finished in 11.193s (firmware) + 1.558s (loader) + 4.155s
(kernel) + 2.007s (userspace) = 18.914s
graphical.target reached after 1.983s in userspace

Talking to other people, I heard, Microsoft Windows since version 8 can
activate some fast/quick boot mode in the firmware.

I haven’t even found the specification for that mode. It could be
something like [1], but I do not think it is:

> Fast Boot is a feature in BIOS that reduces your computer boot time. If
> Fast Boot is enabled:
>
> • Boot from Network, Optical, and Removable Devices are disabled.
> • Video and USB devices (keyboard, mouse, drives) won't be available
> until the operating system loads.

Some other sources [2] say, that MS Windows just uses hibernation to
boot quicker, but I do not think this is it, because with hibernation
there should be also a ten seconds delay, right?

Do you know more about this mode, and how it works? Could it be
implemented for Linux?

Kind regards,

Paul

[1]:
https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/support/articles/000006699/mini-pcs.html

  Last update: 2019-05-01 12:54    [W:0.022 / U:0.324 seconds]