SubjectRe: rseq: How to test for compat task at signal delivery
On Tue, Jun 26, 2018 at 12:50 PM Mathieu Desnoyers
<mathieu.desnoyers@efficios.com> wrote:

> ----- On Jun 26, 2018, at 3:32 PM, Andy Lutomirski luto@amacapital.net wrote:
>
> > On Tue, Jun 26, 2018 at 11:45 AM Mathieu Desnoyers
> > <mathieu.desnoyers@efficios.com> wrote:
> >>
> >> ----- On Jun 26, 2018, at 1:38 PM, Mathieu Desnoyers

> >> I think what we're missing here is a new "is_compat_frame(struct ksignal *ksig)"
> >> which I could use in the rseq code. I'll prepare a patch and we can discuss
> >> from there.
> >>

> > That sounds about right.
> >
> > I'm confused, though. Wouldn't it be more consistent to just segfault
> > if the high 32 bits are not clear when rseq transitions to a 32-bit
> > context? If there's garbage in 64-bit mode, the program will crash.
> > Why should 32-bit mode be any different?
>
> Currently, if a 32-bit binary puts garbage in the high bits of
> start_ip, post_commit_offset, and abort_ip in
>
> include/uapi/linux/rseq.h:
>
> struct rseq_cs {
> /* Version of this structure. */
> __u32 version;
> /* enum rseq_cs_flags */
> __u32 flags;
> LINUX_FIELD_u32_u64(start_ip);
> /* Offset from start_ip. */
> LINUX_FIELD_u32_u64(post_commit_offset);
> LINUX_FIELD_u32_u64(abort_ip);
> } __attribute__((aligned(4 * sizeof(__u64))));

This ABI isn't real ABI until a stable kernel happens, right? So how
about just making all those fields be u64?

> A 32-bit kernel just never reads the padding, thus in reality acting
> as if those were zeroes. However, a 64-bit kernel dealing with this
> 32-bit compat task will read that padding, handling those as very
> large values.

Sounds like a design error. Have all kernels read the fields no
matter what. A 32-bit kernel will send SIGSEGV if the high bits are
set. A 64-bit kernel running compat userspace should make sure that a
32-bit task dies if the high bits are set.

> We need to improve that by introducing a consistent behavior across
> native 32-bit kernels and 32-bit compat mode on 64-bit kernels.
>
> There are two ways to achieve this: either the 32-bit kernel validates
> the padding by killing the process if padding is non-zero, or the
> 64-bit kernel treats compat mode by zeroing the high bits of padding.
>
> If we look at system call interfaces in general, I think the usual
> approach is to clear the top bits whenever a value read from a
> compat task ends up being used as a pointer. This is why I am tempted
> to go for the "clear high bits" approach rather than killing the task.

I think the modern preference is to use fields of fixed size rather
than long when UABI is involved.

In any event, I think the test you want is user_64bit_mode().

> Also, validating that the top 32-bit is zeroes from a native 32-bit
> kernel requires extra loads, whereas not caring about their content
> is free, which makes me slightly prefer an approach where 32-bit
> compat mode on 64-bit kernel just clears the top bits.

But performance is totally irrelvant here, right? This only affects
the abort path, unless I'm rather confused.

--Andy

  Last update: 2018-06-26 21:56    [W:0.053 / U:0.516 seconds]