SubjectRe: rseq: How to test for compat task at signal delivery
On Tue, Jun 26, 2018 at 11:45 AM Mathieu Desnoyers
<mathieu.desnoyers@efficios.com> wrote:

> ----- On Jun 26, 2018, at 1:38 PM, Mathieu Desnoyers mathieu.desnoyers@efficios.com wrote:
>
> > Hi Andy,
> >
> > I would like to make the behavior rseq on compat tasks more robust
> > by ensuring that kernel/rseq.c:rseq_get_rseq_cs() clears the high
> > bits of rseq_cs->abort_ip, rseq_cs->start_ip and
> > rseq_cs->post_commit_offset when a 32-bit binary is run on a 64-bit
> > kernel.
> >
> > The intent here is that if user-space has garbage rather than zeroes
> > in its struct rseq_cs fields padding, the behavior will be the same
> > whether the binary is run on 32-bit or 64 kernels.
> >
> > I know that internally, the kernel is making a transition from
> > is_compat_task() to in_compat_syscall().
> >
> > I'm fine with using in_compat_syscall() when rseq_get_rseq_cs() is
> > invoked from a system call, but is it OK to call it when it is
> > invoked from signal delivery ? AFAIU, signals can be delivered
> > upon return from interrupt as well.
> >
> > If not, what strategy do you recommend for arch-agnostic code ?
>
> I think what we're missing here is a new "is_compat_frame(struct ksignal *ksig)"
> which I could use in the rseq code. I'll prepare a patch and we can discuss
> from there.

That sounds about right.

I'm confused, though. Wouldn't it be more consistent to just segfault
if the high 32 bits are not clear when rseq transitions to a 32-bit
context? If there's garbage in 64-bit mode, the program will crash.
Why should 32-bit mode be any different?

  Last update: 2018-06-26 21:32    [W:2.073 / U:0.928 seconds]