SubjectRe: [RFCv4,19/21] media: vim2m: add request support
On 12.03.2018 11:29, Tomasz Figa wrote:
> On Mon, Mar 12, 2018 at 5:25 PM, Paul Kocialkowski
> <paul.kocialkowski@bootlin.com> wrote:
>> Hi,
>>
>> On Mon, 2018-03-12 at 17:15 +0900, Tomasz Figa wrote:
>>> Hi Paul, Dmitry,

>>> Well, there is small syscall overhead, which normally shouldn't be
>>> very painful, although with all the speculative execution hardening,
>>> can't be sure of anything anymore. :)
>>
>> Oh, my mistake then, I had it in mind that it is not really something
>> noticeable. Hopefully, it won't be a limiting factor in our cases.
>
> With typical frame rates achievable by hardware codecs, I doubt that
> it would be a limiting factor. We're using a similar API (a WiP
> version of pre-Request API prototype from long ago) in Chrome OS
> already without any performance issues.

Thank you very much for the answers!

The syscalls overhead is miserable in comparison to the rest of decoding, though
I wanted to clarify whether there is a way to avoid it. Atomic API sounds like
something that would suit well for that.

  Last update: 2018-03-12 13:22    [W:0.521 / U:0.044 seconds]