SubjectRe: [RFCv4,19/21] media: vim2m: add request support
On Mon, Mar 12, 2018 at 5:25 PM, Paul Kocialkowski
<paul.kocialkowski@bootlin.com> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> On Mon, 2018-03-12 at 17:15 +0900, Tomasz Figa wrote:
>> Hi Paul, Dmitry,
>>
>> On Mon, Mar 12, 2018 at 5:10 PM, Paul Kocialkowski
>> <paul.kocialkowski@bootlin.com> wrote:
>> > Hi,

>> > The V4L2 interface exposes ioctls for differents actions and I don't
>> > think there's a combined ioctl for this. The request API was
>> > introduced
>> > precisely because we need to have consistency between the various
>> > ioctls
>> > needed for each frame. Maybe one single (atomic) ioctl would have
>> > worked
>> > too, but that's apparently not how the V4L2 API was designed.
>> >
>> > I don't think there is any particular overhead caused by having n
>> > ioctls
>> > instead of a single one. At least that would be very surprising
>> > IMHO.
>>
>> Well, there is small syscall overhead, which normally shouldn't be
>> very painful, although with all the speculative execution hardening,
>> can't be sure of anything anymore. :)
>
> Oh, my mistake then, I had it in mind that it is not really something
> noticeable. Hopefully, it won't be a limiting factor in our cases.

With typical frame rates achievable by hardware codecs, I doubt that
it would be a limiting factor. We're using a similar API (a WiP
version of pre-Request API prototype from long ago) in Chrome OS
already without any performance issues.

  Last update: 2018-03-12 09:30    [W:0.198 / U:0.688 seconds]