Subjectext2/3/4 performance issue
Hello folks,

I work on implementing the ext2 filesystem for a PIC microcontroller and
while reading the sources of it in the linux kernel I stumbled upon the
following performance issue. I don't know if it is really important but
I tought I will ask:

In super.c in function "ext2_statfs" there is a for loop [1] which
iterates over all block groups to determine the overhead each block
group has. For this it determines if the block group has a superblock
(by calling "ext2_bg_has_super") and how many blocks are occupied by the
group descriptor blocks (by calling "ext2_bg_num_gdb").

Now it is the case, that "ext2_bg_num_gdb" itself calls
"ext2_bg_has_super" in balloc.c [2]. See ext2_bg_num_gdb at the very
bottom of balloc.c

There will only be a group descriptor if there is a superblock. The
overhead generated by calling "ext2_bg_has_super" twice is not quite
minimal. At least if the sparse superblock feature is used as it
involves checking if the block number equals any power of 3, 5 or 7.

So as every block which has a superblock must also have a group
descriptor it would be fine to replace the for loop mentioned in [1] by
a for loop like:

------------ snip -------------------
for (i = 0; i < sbi->s_groups_count; i++)
if (ext2_bg_has_super(sb, i))
overhead += 1 + sbi->s_gdb_count;
------------ snip -------------------

The call to "ext_bg_num_gb" is avoided an by this the redundant call to
"ext2_bg_has_super". As the function isn't used anywhere else it could
get removed at all.

I don't know if "ext2_statfs" is called often enough that such an
optimization would make sense. And I am also not involved in kernel
development so I am not quite into kernel coding guidelines.

The same issue is also valid for ext3 and ext4.

[1]
https://git.kernel.org/cgit/linux/kernel/git/stable/linux-stable.git/tree/fs/ext2/super.c#n1395

[2]
https://git.kernel.org/cgit/linux/kernel/git/stable/linux-stable.git/tree/fs/ext2/balloc.c#n1532

greetings,
Bernhard
--
Wer nicht gelegentlich auch einmal kausalwidrige Dinge zu denken vermag,
wird seine Wissenschaft nie um eine neue Idee bereichern können.

  Last update: 2015-05-10 10:41    [W:0.220 / U:0.880 seconds]