SubjectRe: [GIT PULL] kdbus for 4.1-rc1
On 2015-04-29 08:47, Harald Hoyer wrote:
> Until then the whole common IPC problem is unresolved and Linux
> distributions are just a collection of random software with no common
> interoperability and home grown interfaces.
I don't know how I managed to not notice this comment before, but I find
it particularly hilarious.
The part about 'no common interoperability' is just plain BS with the
exception of some of the insanity being touted by systemd advocates and
the insanity that is accessibility software on linux, you can easily
string together pretty much arbitrary strings of commands using fifo's
to achieve almost anything; the actual interoperability issues (WRT to
the command line at least, which is where all the stuff you are
complaining about works) come up only with stuff (like journald for
example) that just refuses to use text interfaces on the command-line.
Also, the 'home grown interfaces' you are complaining about are used on
every operating system (not just Linux or other Unix progeny) every day,
and no amount of better IPC is going to stop that; furthermore, almost
every current 'standard' protocol or interface used on the internet
started out as a 'home grown interface' (TCP/IP immediately comes to
mind, followed shortly by NFS, SMTP, WebDAV, SSH, XML, JSON, and a whole
slew of others).

[unhandled content-type:application/pkcs7-signature]

  Last update: 2015-05-01 18:21    [W:0.412 / U:0.080 seconds]