    SubjectRe: [GIT PULL] kdbus for 4.1-rc1
    On Wed, 29 Apr 2015, Martin Steigerwald wrote:

    > Am Mittwoch, 29. April 2015, 14:47:53 schrieb Harald Hoyer:
    >> We really don't want the IPC mechanism to be in a flux state. All tools
    >> have to fallback to a non-standard mechanism in that case.
    >>
    >> If I have to pull in a dbus daemon in the initramfs, we still have the
    >> chicken and egg problem for PID 1 talking to the logging daemon and
    >> starting dbus.
    >> systemd cannot talk to journald via dbus unless dbus-daemon is started,
    >> dbus cannot log anything on startup, if journald is not running, etc...
    >
    > Do I get this right that it is basically a userspace *design* decision
    > that you use as a reason to have kdbus inside the kernel?
    >
    > Is it really necessary to use DBUS for talking to journald? And does it
    > really matter that much if any message before starting up dbus do not
    > appear in the log? /proc/kmsg is a ring buffer, it can still be copied over
    > later.

    I've been getting the early boot messages in my logs for decades (assuming the
    system doesn't fail before the syslog daemon is started). It sometimes has
    required setting a larger than default ringbuffer in the kernel, but that's easy
    enough to do.

    David Lang

      Last update: 2015-04-29 18:41    [W:9.241 / U:0.060 seconds]