SubjectRe: x86, microcode: BUG: microcode update that changes x86_capability
On Thu, 18 Sep 2014, Andy Lutomirski wrote:
> On Sep 18, 2014 5:13 PM, "Henrique de Moraes Holschuh" <hmh@hmh.eng.br> wrote:
> > Here's a plan that might work, pending actually checking the libpthread TSX
> > code to make sure it keys on /proc/cpuinfo flags:
>
> Surely it checks cpuid directly, though.

Unfortunately, you're correct. It uses cpuid() directly. So, my plan is
not going to work.

> Can we twiddle the cpuid bit? I never noticed any way in the docs to

No, we can't, at least not by manipulating cpuid itself.

And if the old microcode had such a Intel TSX on/off switch (which would
also reset the bit), the "fix" that disables Intel TSX should have been a
BIOS update, not a microcode update... so I consider that very unlikely.

I'm filling a bug on Debian glibc, asking them to blacklist HLE until
further notice.

So that's two nice features that might go the way of the Dodo over this:
We're also killing microcode update support outside of the initramfs in
Debian. It has become obvious that anything other than the early initramfs
method of microcode updates should be considered a developer thing.

Henrique Holschuh

  Last update: 2014-09-19 13:41    [W:0.132 / U:0.228 seconds]