    SubjectRe: x86, microcode: BUG: microcode update that changes x86_capability
    On Fri, 19 Sep 2014, Borislav Petkov wrote:
    > On Fri, Sep 19, 2014 at 08:00:15AM -0300, Henrique de Moraes Holschuh wrote:
    > > We're also killing microcode update support outside of the initramfs in
    > > Debian. It has become obvious that anything other than the early initramfs
    > > method of microcode updates should be considered a developer thing.
    >
    > That's simply not true: long-running systems which you can't reboot for
    > whatever reason will need the late microcode update.

    I have no plans to ask the Debian kernel team to disable the "microcode"
    module. The local system administrator is welcome to trigger the microcode
    update manually: I will make sure to document how, although with a suitable
    warning.

    And I will also continue to pester you with patches to the microcode driver
    :-)

    But I will not trigger a microcode update when the intel-microcode package
    gets updated/installed anymore. The user will be warned of the need for
    either a reboot or a manually triggered microcode update.

    Anyway, those are my current plans. I am delaying the microcode update in
    non-free (Debian ancillary distro), so that I can reconsider the above as
    the situation unfolds over the next week or two.

    Henrique Holschuh

      Last update: 2014-09-19 16:21    [W:3.577 / U:0.020 seconds]