SubjectSuggestion for fixing the variable length array used in the kernel.
From
Hi,

I am looking at the current sparse warning on the kernel source.
One category of those warning are produce by the variable length array.
We all know that the kernel stack has a limit so we don't want to allocate
too much stack to the variable size array.

Is there a recommended way to fix those warnings? Is it worth while to
fix it at all? I am looking forward to some kind of guideline how to handle
this.

Some of them has estimated size limited, like the one fournd in decode_rs.c

/* Err+Eras Locator poly and syndrome poly The maximum value
* of nroots is 8. So the necessary stack size will be about
* 220 bytes max.
*/
uint16_t lambda[nroots + 1], syn[nroots];
uint16_t b[nroots + 1], t[nroots + 1], omega[nroots + 1];
uint16_t root[nroots], reg[nroots + 1], loc[nroots];

Some of them did not said the size estimation but you kind of know
they are not likely to blow up the stack:
In xen_flush_tlb_others

struct {
struct mmuext_op op;
#ifdef CONFIG_SMP
DECLARE_BITMAP(mask, num_processors);
#else
DECLARE_BITMAP(mask, NR_CPUS);
#endif
} *args;

And also some of them are harder to tell from the context if
there will be a size limit:

int snd_pcm_hw_refine(struct snd_pcm_substream *substream,
struct snd_pcm_hw_params *params)
{
unsigned int k;
struct snd_pcm_hardware *hw;
struct snd_interval *i = NULL;
struct snd_mask *m = NULL;
struct snd_pcm_hw_constraints *constrs = &substream->runtime->hw_constraints;
unsigned int rstamps[constrs->rules_num]; <---------------------------------

Chris

  Last update: 2013-03-07 06:21    [W:0.063 / U:0.216 seconds]