SubjectRe: Extending coredump note section to contain filenames
On Tue, 13 Mar 2012 01:16:30 +0100, H. Peter Anvin wrote:
> That's quite absurd if you think about it... we're talking about each
> individual library, not necessarily the root binary.

Denys is also working on ABRT which already dumps a lot of useful info
associated with a core file:
abrt_version analyzer architecture cmdline component coredump count
dso_list environ executable hostname kernel maps os_release package
pid pwd reason time uid username uuid var_log_messages

I find the local copy instances of the files of specific build the same or
even less less useful info than those files above.

One should start implementing dumping all the info above info Linux kernel
before the filenames are worth it.

The problem with filenames is they work in the most common end-user host
cases. Which means tools get built on top of it that way - like what AFAIK
happened in the Ubuntu Apport case. The resulting toolchain is then not
applicable for the longterm running server setups, it is that 99% working
solution which needs to be rewritten from scratch for that final 1%.

Regards,
Jan

  Last update: 2012-03-13 01:29    [W:0.058 / U:0.424 seconds]