SubjectRe: VFS hot tracking: How to calculate data temperature?
From
On Fri, Nov 2, 2012 at 4:41 PM, Zheng Liu <gnehzuil.liu@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Fri, Nov 02, 2012 at 02:38:29PM +0800, Zhi Yong Wu wrote:
>> Here also has another question.
>>
>> How to save the file temperature among the umount to be able to
>> preserve the file tempreture after reboot?
>>
>> This above is the requirement from DB product.
>> I thought that we can save file temperature in its inode struct, that
>> is, add one new field in struct inode, then this info will be written
>> to disk with inode.
>>
>> Any comments or ideas are appreciated, thanks.
>
> Hi Zhiyong,
>
> I think that we might define a callback function. If a filesystem wants
> to save these data, it can implement a function to save them. The
> filesystem can decide whether adding it or not by themselves.
Great idea, temperature saving function is maybe very specific to FS.
But i am wondering if we can find one generic way to save temperature
info at first.

> BTW, actually I don't really care about how to save these data because I
> only want to observe which file is accessed in real time, which is very
> useful for me to track a problem in our product system.
heh, but other guys or products care about this.

--
Regards,

Zhi Yong Wu

  Last update: 2012-11-05 04:01    [W:0.039 / U:2.416 seconds]