SubjectRe: numa/core regressions fixed - more testers wanted
On 11/20/2012 08:54 PM, Andrew Theurer wrote:

> I can confirm single JVM JBB is working well for me. I see a 30%
> improvement over autoNUMA. What I can't make sense of is some perf
> stats (taken at 80 warehouses on 4 x WST-EX, 512GB memory):

AutoNUMA does not have native THP migration, that may explain some
of the difference.

> tips numa/core:
>
> 5,429,632,865 node-loads
> 3,806,419,082 node-load-misses(70.1%)
> 2,486,756,884 node-stores
> 2,042,557,277 node-store-misses(82.1%)
> 2,878,655,372 node-prefetches
> 2,201,441,900 node-prefetch-misses
>
> autoNUMA:
>
> 4,538,975,144 node-loads
> 2,666,374,830 node-load-misses(58.7%)
> 2,148,950,354 node-stores
> 1,682,942,931 node-store-misses(78.3%)
> 2,191,139,475 node-prefetches
> 1,633,752,109 node-prefetch-misses
>
> The percentage of misses is higher for numa/core. I would have expected
> the performance increase be due to lower "node-misses", but perhaps I am
> misinterpreting the perf data.

Lack of native THP migration may be enough to explain the
performance difference, despite autonuma having better node
locality.

>> Next I'll work on making multi-JVM more of an improvement, and
>> I'll also address any incoming regression reports.
>
> I have issues with multiple KVM VMs running either JBB or
> dbench-in-tmpfs, and I suspect whatever I am seeing is similar to
> whatever multi-jvm in baremetal is. What I typically see is no real
> convergence of a single node for resource usage for any of the VMs. For
> example, when running 8 VMs, 10 vCPUs each, a VM may have the following
> resource usage:

This is an issue. I have tried understanding the new local/shared
and shared task grouping code, but have not wrapped my mind around
that code yet.

I will have to look at that code a few more times, and ask more
questions of Ingo and Peter (and maybe ask some of the same questions
again - I see that some of my comments were addressed in the next
version of the patch, but the email never got a reply).

--
All rights reversed

  Last update: 2012-11-21 05:01    [W:0.234 / U:0.380 seconds]