SubjectRe: numa/core regressions fixed - more testers wanted
From
On Fri, Nov 23, 2012 at 9:31 PM, Ingo Molnar <mingo@kernel.org> wrote:

> * Ingo Molnar <mingo@kernel.org> wrote:

>> > I am wondering if it is a problem, but it still exists on HEAD: c418de93e39891
>> > http://article.gmane.org/gmane.linux.kernel.mm/90131/match=compiled+with+name+pl+and+start+it+on+my
>> >
>> > like when just start 4 pl tasks, often 3 were running on node
>> > 0, and 1 was running on node 1. The old balance will average
>> > assign tasks to different node, different core.
>>
>> This is "normal" in the sense that the current mainline
>> scheduler is (supposed to be) doing something similar: if the
>> node is still within capacity, then there's no reason to move
>> those threads.
>>
>> OTOH, I think with NUMA balancing we indeed want to spread
>> them better, if those tasks do not share memory with each
>> other but use their own memory. If they share memory then they
>> should remain on the same node if possible.

There is no share memory between them.

> Could you please check tip:master with -v17:
>
> git://git.kernel.org/pub/scm/linux/kernel/git/tip/tip.git master
>
> ?
>
> It should place your workload better than v16 did.

OK. will try it on next Monday, if it is not late to you.

> Note, you might be able to find other combinations of tasks that
> are not scheduled NUMA-perfectly yet, as task group placement is
> not exhaustive yet.

I am not familiar with task group. but anyway, will try it too.

> You might want to check which combination looks the weirdest to
> you and report it, so I can fix any remaining placement
> inefficiencies in order of importance.

Any suggestions of combination?

--
Thanks
Alex

  Last update: 2012-11-23 17:01    [W:0.114 / U:0.508 seconds]