SubjectRe: [Bug #11342] Linux 2.6.27-rc3: kernel BUG at mm/vmalloc.c - bisected
Linus Torvalds wrote:

> On Tue, 30 Sep 2008, Mike Travis wrote:
>> One pain is:
>>
>> typedef struct __cpumask_s *cpumask_t;
>> const cpumask_t xxx;
>>
>> is not the same as:
>>
>> typedef const struct __cpumask_s *const_cpumask_t;
>> const_cpumask_t xxx;
>>
>> and I'm not exactly sure why.
>
> Umm. The const has different
>
> One is
>
> typedef const struct __cpumask_s *const_cpumask_t;
>
> which becomes
>
> (const struct __cpumask_s) *
>
> while the other is
>
> const cpumask_t xxx
>
> which is
>
> const (struct __cpumask_s *)
>
> and if you look a bit more closely, you'll see that they are _obviously_
> not the same thing at all.

Thanks, yes that explains what I should have figured out. (Nice way to
explain it btw... ;-)

> Quite frankly, I personally do hate typedefs that end up being pointers,
> and used as pointers, without showing that in the source code.
>
> When you do
>
> type_t a;
>
> fn(a);
>
> I expect the code to essentially do a pass-by-value. But when the type_t
> is a pointer, that doesn't really work.

I agree, and as I mentioned, Rusty was working towards an alternative
method of declaring cpumask's which does not hide this.

My goal was to create an (apparent) opaque handle for cpumask_t and modify
the code so all changes to the contents of the cpumask are via functions.

> Your issue with 'const' is just another version of the same. You don't
> want the _pointer_ to be const, you want what it points _to_ to be const.
> But because you hid the pointerness inside the typedef, you simply cannot
> do that.
>
> The problem with cpumask's, of course, is that for the "small mask" case,
> we really don't want it to be a pointer. So now it's sometimes a pointer
> and sometimes not. The typedef hides that, and I understand why it's a
> good idea, but I'm surprised you didn't understand what the implications
> were for 'const', and I'm now a bit more leery about this whole thing just
> because the typedef ends up hiding so much - it doesn't just hide the
> basic type, it hides a very basic *code* issue.

Perhaps then defining the cpumask as a list of unsigned longs (remove the
outer struct) would play more "naturally". Lists by definition are always
referenced by pointers. I have another version of the patchset that shows
this and I'll post just the cpumask.h and doc files.

> Linus

Thanks!
Mike

  Last update: 2008-09-30 20:05    [W:0.163 / U:0.128 seconds]