SubjectRe: Linux 2.6.27-rc5: System boot regression caused by commit a2bd7274b47124d2fc4dfdb8c0591f545ba749dd

> > Sorry if I am interfering... just wanted to inject this data, in case
> > it's meaningful!
>
> Yeah, nothing has changed yet for your case. What should change your case
> is the thing Yinghai is working on with the "late add of e820 data to the
> resource tree".

OK.

> His earlier version already worked for you, didn't it? We're really now
> just finalizing details (in fact, "insert_resource_expand_to_fit()" is
> just a helper function for a detail that may not even matter all that
> much).

Yes, it worked fine! :D

BTW, there was an individual who reported a regression back in May on the
very same commit. I was not able to get him to participate in the process
of tracking this down, but he did (suddenly) write a post on his blog a
couple of days ago that he had success using some unspecified git tree HEAD.

I believe that was probably the patch that you have reverted, so once I
know that a new candidate is in place I will let him know on his blog and
see if I can talk him into trying it. This has been a month-long quest
for me -- beginning on Aug. 4 -- and I can understand why he gave up in
May without resolving the issue. It's too bad for all of us that he didn't
pursue it then, huh?

Thanks,
Dave W.

  Last update: 2008-08-30 09:01    [W:0.021 / U:0.244 seconds]