Subjectioctl's suck?
The other day Linus (I think) made the statement, that I don't disagree
with, that I will parapharse as "ioctl's suck". If I recall correctly
and understand he was saying that a device that uses ioctls is broken.
(this is my paraphrase and if it offends anybody it is my fault not the
original author's).

This got me to thinking about a device driver that I'm working on.
Currently I have some ioctls to handle status and out of band messages
and I'm wondering about eliminating the ioctls. I'm wondering if
anybody has any ideas or opinions that they would like to share, about
just what i wrong with ioctls and/or how to avoid them.

I can see a number of problems with ioctls that I can'tr quite put into
words.

I could add a control device and pass ascii strings for status and OOB
messages, would that be an improvement?
--
A: Because it messes up the order in which people normally read text.
Q: Why is top-posting a bad thing?

Brian Beattie LFS12947 | "Honor isn't about making the right choices.
beattie@beattie-home.net | It's about dealing with the consequences."
www.beattie-home.net | -- Midori Koto

  Last update: 2008-08-03 00:27    [W:0.043 / U:0.312 seconds]