SubjectRe: iptables, NAT, DNS & Dan Kaminsky
On Thu, Jul 31, 2008 at 2:14 PM, Willy Tarreau <w@1wt.eu> wrote:
>> > And BTW I don't think that many of the people
>> > reading LKML care a dime about the "exploit" for poorly configured
>> > DNS servers.
>>
>> It is an exploit that is being abused as we speak and,
>
> That does not mean that abused servers were properly set up.

Properly configured servers are vulnerable, that's why this is such a
big deal. This a problem with the design of the DNS protocol (&
associated behaviors) itself -- the only mitigation strategy sysadmins
have right now is forcing a randomization of the source port (outside
of the DNS resolver itself), or placing the DNS resolver behind a NAT
masquerading firewall that does strict response dropping if a response
comes from the wrong host. (There used to be an option in the kernel
to deal with that -- loose source routing or somesuch, but I think
that's a by-gone from the 2.4 era.)

So, to answer Richard, yes something like that should work. I'm not an
iptables guru by any means, but what you should do is set up a machine
with that, and sniff the output of the DNS server before and after
enabling that line to verify that it works.

The better solution, of course, is to update your DNS server to allow
it to do the source port randomization itself.

  Last update: 2008-07-31 23:39    [W:3.772 / U:0.008 seconds]