SubjectRe: iptables, NAT, DNS & Dan Kaminsky
Hi Richard,

On Thu, Jul 31, 2008 at 04:59:24PM +0200, Richard Hartmann wrote:
> On Wed, Jul 30, 2008 at 21:55, Willy Tarreau <w@1wt.eu> wrote:
>
> > you should re-post your question to relevant lists. I think that
> > the netfilter ML would be more appropriate. The list you posted to
> > is about Linux kernel development, which has nothing to do with
> > how to setup iptables rules, so I don't think you'll find useful
> > answers here, if any.
>
> I also asked said list, but as I am especially concerned about
> what kernels versions act in which way, I thought I would try
> my luck here, as well.

Then you should wait a bit, there may be a lot of people in holidays.

> > And BTW I don't think that many of the people
> > reading LKML care a dime about the "exploit" for poorly configured
> > DNS servers.
>
> It is an exploit that is being abused as we speak and,

That does not mean that abused servers were properly set up.

> unless you
> mean source address filtering or the like, has nothing to do with
> how the servers are configured

Yes it has. I don't want to enter a DNS debate and I'm not even qualified
for that. But I can't find any reason why you would let your servers offer
public resolving service for outsiders. They must resolve hosted zones for
outsiders, hosted+outside zones for insiders and that's all. So that *should*
be either a non-issue, or a valid reason to fix the issue.

Regards,
Willy

  Last update: 2008-07-31 23:17    [W:0.056 / U:0.224 seconds]