SubjectRe: linux-next: Tree for June 13: IO APIC breakage on HP nx6325
Date
On Sunday, 29 of June 2008, Maciej W. Rozycki wrote:
> On Sun, 29 Jun 2008, Rafael J. Wysocki wrote:
>
> > > I believe I removed all the occurences. I am waiting for a proposal of a
> > > quirk based on the DSDT ID -- my time is a bit too limited to study the
> > > internals of our ACPI code at the moment; sorry about that. I will
> > > complement it with a change to remove IRQ0 from I/O APIC tables as
> > > promised then; this piece of code I am quite familiar with.
> >
> > Well, why don't we use the DMI identification as suggested by Matthew?
>
> Because it checks the wrong property.
>
> > I think we can safely assume that all of these boxes are broken for now and we
> > can use a more fine grained identification in the future, if necessary.
>
> It is the reverse -- checking the DSDT ID is coarser, matching all the
> systems that use the broken firmware.

How can you tell which DSDTs are broken until somebody reports them?

> With DMI we may face both false positives and false negatives which imply
> further maintenance actions.

With DSDT matching you're likely to end up breaking systems the users of
which have not reported problems.

> Please note as proved over the years understanding of these issues seems
> to be problematic for people, so the result may be another round of
> discussions reinventing the wheel in a couple of years' time or so.
>
> That's my opinion only though -- if it was to hinder the progress, then I
> am not going to persist.

Good.

> Have you tried to report the issue through the usual manufacturer's
> support channels, BTW?

My experience with HP indicates that it would have been a loss of time.

Apart from this, I've always been against forcing people to upgrade their
BIOSes just because we just had a briliant idea that made the kernel stop
working on their systems. IMO it's extremely user-unfriendly and plain wrong.

Thanks,
Rafael

  Last update: 2008-06-29 21:25    [W:0.596 / U:0.760 seconds]