SubjectRe: Ingo, no more kconfig patches
On Sun, May 04, 2008 at 01:37:47AM +0200, Krzysztof Halasa wrote:
> Adrian Bunk <bunk@kernel.org> writes:
>
> > FB_SGIVW requires X86_VISWS and it's selected automatically.
> >
> > (which is not good if you want a kernel that runs on a PC)
>
> Not sure what do you mean, it currently seem to "depend" on X86_VISWS:
>
> config FB_SGIVW
> tristate "SGI Visual Workstation framebuffer support"
> depends on FB && X86_VISWS
> select FB_CFB_FILLRECT
> select FB_CFB_COPYAREA
> select FB_CFB_IMAGEBLIT

Unless I misunderstand your proposal you want to resolve dependencies
reversely.

And if you want to only do this for select's: FB_SGIVW could also be
select'ed.

> > Why do we have to bother users with the MII option at all?
> >
> > "E1000E=m and TULIP=m but MII=y" works, but it doesn't really make
> > sense.
>
> (Obviously it assumes both TULIP and E1000E required MII which is not
> exactly the case)
>
> But it makes a perfect sense, I can have modular drivers for (few)
> hardware devices (just in case I want to rmmod etc) but most of the
> kernel may be not modular. It would be nice if the Kconfig ask me if
> I want to "select" the dependency Y or M, even if there is only one
> way to make "select" dependencies happy (not counting "Y vs "M").

Getting the cases that really matter working would already be hard
enough...

> Krzysztof Halasa

cu
Adrian

"Only a promise," Lao Er said.
Pearl S. Buck - Dragon Seed

  Last update: 2008-05-04 02:53    [W:0.053 / U:0.080 seconds]