    SubjectRe: Ingo, no more kconfig patches
    On Sun, May 04, 2008 at 12:13:29AM +0200, Krzysztof Halasa wrote:
    > Adrian Bunk <bunk@kernel.org> writes:
    >
    > > If you select LEDS_CLASS "select follows dependencies" would let inherit
    > > X86_RDC321X the dependencies of LEDS_CLASS,
    >
    > I see, "follows" the other way around. That fixes the breakage but I
    > guess it's not exactly what the people doing make menuconfig want.
    > Though in absence of the following it would IMHO make sense anyway.

    Kconfig is an interface for users.

    From a developer perspective if might be the easiest to simply remove
    the "select" syntax, but from an UI perspective it would be horrible.

    > > And regarding "displaying all relevant dependency chains" to the user -
    > > I can't see how that would work in the more complicated cases.
    >
    > I fear it too but perhaps there is some sane way? I don't know,
    > asking (recursively?) interactively?
    >
    > Like:
    > QWERTY requires at least one, select (Y/M):
    > - ARCH_X86 && NET_ETHERNET, or
    > - USB4_0 && !SMP, or
    > - XXX
    >
    > then:
    > NET_ETHERNET requires at lest one, select (Y/M):
    > - PCI128
    > - ISA256
    >
    > then (info):
    > PCI128 requires PCI and it's selected automatically.

    FB_SGIVW requires X86_VISWS and it's selected automatically.

    (which is not good if you want a kernel that runs on a PC)

    > I don't know. It could be useful even with a single dependency when
    > configuring as the module, the user could select Y or M for dependency
    > interactively (people may want to have E1000E=m and TULIP=m but MII=y).

    Why do we have to bother users with the MII option at all?

    "E1000E=m and TULIP=m but MII=y" works, but it doesn't really make
    sense.

    > Not sure if still on the same planet, though :-)
    > --
    > Krzysztof Halasa

    cu
    Adrian

    "Only a promise," Lao Er said.
    Pearl S. Buck - Dragon Seed

      Last update: 2008-05-04 00:33    [W:9.024 / U:0.000 seconds]