SubjectRe: Ingo, no more kconfig patches
Adrian Bunk <bunk@kernel.org> writes:

> If you select LEDS_CLASS "select follows dependencies" would let inherit
> X86_RDC321X the dependencies of LEDS_CLASS,

I see, "follows" the other way around. That fixes the breakage but I
guess it's not exactly what the people doing make menuconfig want.
Though in absence of the following it would IMHO make sense anyway.

> And regarding "displaying all relevant dependency chains" to the user -
> I can't see how that would work in the more complicated cases.

I fear it too but perhaps there is some sane way? I don't know,
asking (recursively?) interactively?

Like:
QWERTY requires at least one, select (Y/M):
- ARCH_X86 && NET_ETHERNET, or
- USB4_0 && !SMP, or
- XXX

then:
NET_ETHERNET requires at lest one, select (Y/M):
- PCI128
- ISA256

then (info):
PCI128 requires PCI and it's selected automatically.

I don't know. It could be useful even with a single dependency when
configuring as the module, the user could select Y or M for dependency
interactively (people may want to have E1000E=m and TULIP=m but MII=y).

Not sure if still on the same planet, though :-)
--
Krzysztof Halasa

  Last update: 2008-05-04 00:15    [W:0.056 / U:0.288 seconds]